Sunday, August 19, 2018

Aileron Autopilot Servo

Had to make a slight adjustment to the aileron servo mount.  When I fitted the parts, I found that two moutning bolt heads for the servo interfered a bit with a bracket.  This was a bummer, and I contemplated drilling out all the rivets on the bracket to fix it.  But then I thought it might be easier to use Michael's mill and (very) carefully mill out a slot in part of the bracket to fix the interference.  This worked out pretty good, and I didn't have to remove any rivets.
Milling the right angle bracket to fix some interference

Notch in right angle bracket provides room for bolt
I spent some time aligning the position of the motor, and found that I needed to make some additional 1/4" alum. spacers to drop the servo down a little bit.  By doing this, the cable that runs to the pulleys (that are doubled up under the existing aileron pulleys) lines up nicely with the pulley on the capstan servo.
Servo with 1/4 inch spacers under the servo bracket
Next I mounted the whole shebang in the airplane, right under the control stick mixer.  I double checked alignment with some orange string just to make sure I didn't screw anything up.  Alignment looks great, and one of the next steps will be to get a cable made that will replace the string.  I'm attaching several pictures below of the installation as it is hard to see how it all fits together from just one angle.  Hours: 6
Autopilot Servo pic1

Autopilot Servo pic2

Autopilot Servo pic3

Autopilot servo pic4

Autopilot Servo pic5

Autopilot Servo pic6

Autopilot Servo pic7




No comments: